Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 4 of 31 Slices

"What do you want for your birthday?" My husband was so disappointed this year, because what I really needed (and wanted) was clothes. Boring to him, but so fun for me!

Or so I thought.  I ventured an hour and half from home with birthday money and the strict order not to come home with any of it still in my wallet.  I got a late start, since I was leaving after church.  I spent all day out.  All day walking.  All day trying things on and taking them back to the rack.  I came home with exactly three bags, two of which were for my children. For myself, I was able to find a pair of cute khakis and two pairs of tights at the Gap.

I have found on this birthday more than ever that I am in the middle.  I feel too young to shop in the Women's Department at Macy's, yet obviously too old to shop in the Junior's.  Tops are too low cut, skirts are either too long for my short legs, or too short to even consider trying on.   What's a 45 year old to do?

I came home to find my family scurrying around, making preparations for dinner.  There was a glass of wine and a plate full of appetizers awaiting me.  My birthday meal was grilled swordfish, quinoa, and asparagus, with a fresh salad, and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. 

Today I didn't have much luck in the Women's Department, but I was reminded that I sure did luck out in the Husband-and-Kids Department.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5.3.12

    Now that is a birthday present to keep! So gald you were able to find some clothes and can have fun again another day.
    MaryHelen

    ReplyDelete